The Ethel Walker School is a Charter Affiliate member of the Online School for Girls. Any student at Walker's who enrolls in a course at The Online School for Girls (OSG) will receive a 10% discount on her fees for the course. The Ethel Walker School encourages students to pursue any courses at OSG that might help them to broaden their academic experience. If an Ethel Walker student wishes to study a language that is not formally offered, she may wish to explore enrolling in a class in French or German at the Middlebury Interactive Languages program or she may wish to study another language at another, approved online school.
Online courses through a variety of different online schools can sometimes be a good choice for students who wish to pursue study in subjects not formally offered at Walker's. Online courses taken during the summer might be considered as a good option for acceleration or credit recovery but online courses in the summer will rarely if ever be accepted for graduation credits. Any online courses that you wish to take for course credit should be approved by the Dean and acceptable under the policy outlined below:
- The online course must be a class that is not offered on campus at The Ethel Walker School OR not able to be scheduled into a student's normal weekly schedule due to unavoidable scheduling conflicts.
- The course must be offered at a reputable online school or school that offers online courses (EWS reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of the online school/course).
- The course must be approved by the department chair that would have oversight of that topic AND approved by the Dean of Upper School.
- Online courses will be treated and credit given as an independent study if it is a supplemental course. Only courses taken in a language not offered here at Walker's or advanced math classes will be considered for credit toward graduation requirements.
- A partner teacher here at EWS will be assigned to work with the student.
- The student and the partner teacher will meet briefly on a weekly basis to discuss the student's progress in the online course.
- The partner teacher will monitor the student's progress and report any difficulties immediately to the Dean of Upper School.
- The partner teacher will write a brief quarterly comment summarizing the students' work.
- The partner teacher will submit the grades the student has received according to the assessments given by the online course.
- The role of the partner teacher is one of support only. Any online course requiring excessive involvement by an EWS teacher may not be approved.
- All students at Walker's must be enrolled in at least 5 academic courses per semester. Consideration will be given to those students wishing to have their online course be counted as their fifth class. However, this is not guaranteed.
- Credit will be given to only one online course per semester.
The student and her family will be responsible for any financial obligation incurred by the online course.
If a student wishes to enroll in an online course but does not follow the above protocols, The Ethel Walker School is in no way obligated to accept the course for any sort of credit.
In order to have an online course approved, you must see Mrs. Allerton, Dean of Upper School to receive an application form.
Students wishing to take an online course for credit must be in good academic standing and must be current on their tuition payments in order to be considered.