Executive Assistant to the Head of School/Liaison to the Board
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports To: Head of School
The Ethel Walker School has an opening for a full-time Executive Assistant to the Head of School/Liaison to the Board. This position reports to the Head of School. The Executive Assistant to the Head of School/Liaison to the Board provides administrative/advisory support for the Office of the Head of School. Primary responsibility is to support the Head of School and the Board of Trustees. The person in this office will function at various moments as gatekeeper, administrator, implementer, proxy, and advisor for and to the Head of School, interacting with and integrating all of the School’s different constituencies. Hence, this individual must be articulate in both oral and written discourse, able to generate lucid and cogent writing, and be the face of the School while maintaining the utmost confidentiality and professionalism. This person is expected to be an active member of the School community. Intelligence, patience, tact, confidence, organization, trustworthiness, initiative, a sense of humor, and the ability to manage stressful situations and work under pressure are important characteristics.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the requisite cognitive, analytical, and emotional intelligence to facilitate the complex and nuanced situations that require the Head’s attention.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and see them through to completion.
- Keen understanding of School’s educational policies and protocols.
- Ability to function successfully as the liaison to the Board of Trustees.
- Tech and social media savvy with strong computer skills: proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Pages, Google applications, database experience, able to troubleshoot daily tech issues, social media expertise.
- Ability to manage multiple calendars, including the Head’s, in order to provide workload efficiency and balance.
- Ability to complete work in a busy, high-profile office setting and deal with frequent interruptions.
- Intermediary with various offices and units on campus including Advancement, Business, Admission, Athletics, Student Life, and Academics.
- Ability to anticipate issues before they arise and thoroughly prepare the Head for them.
- Ability to arrange travel for the Head.
- Firm grasp of proper English usage and ability to compose correspondence and other documents independently.
- Ensure the smooth running of the Head of School’s Office by managing her calendar; scheduling appointments; and interfacing with parents, faculty, staff, students, alumnae, and friends of the School while being informed about the issues the Head and the School is dealing with at any given time.
- Plan and take charge of all daily priorities and high-profile commitments, while serving as the principal point of contact for those seeking access to the Head.
- Ensure that the Head has the necessary materials ahead of time in a timely manner and that the necessary arrangements have been made for meetings (on and off-campus), events, trips, etc.
- Handle internal and external correspondence, often of a confidential nature, for the Head’s Office, including taking minutes for meetings when asked.
- Serve as Board Liaison: prepare the materials for Board meetings, take minutes, coordinate on-campus meetings and teleconferences of the Board and its committees, help to coordinate the Board orientation of new trustees, reserve facilities, and prepare all requisitions.
- Coordinate with others to prepare an annual calendar of events for which the Head’s Office is responsible or for which the Head has responsibilities.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Events Manager for events involving the Head of School, such as, but not limited to, faculty/trustee dinners, annual community picnic, and Head’s holiday party, working with Environmental Services, Dining Services, and other departments as necessary.
- Manage Head’s Office budget, maintain, and restock Head’s Office supplies; ensure proper functioning of equipment.
- Schedule yearly discussions regarding employment contracts for faculty and administrators; coordinate with the Business Office.
- Maintain all Head’s Office files, hard copy and electronic; monitor and process renewal of memberships and subscriptions; and coordinate faculty recognition awards and events where applicable.
- Advanced degree preferred (Master’s or greater).
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a similar position.
- Provide advanced administrative support at the executive level.
- This position could include some weekends, holidays, and evenings and other duties as assigned.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. The Ethel Walker School is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact list of three (3) professional references in one (1) document to email@example.com.