Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Facilities Operations
The Ethel Walker School is looking for a full time dedicated HVAC Technician to join our facilities staff. The individual in this role will be a dedicated self-starter. They will be responsible for inspecting, maintaining, repairing, operating, and installing our heating, cooling, ventilation, and refrigeration systems. The systems include hot water, steam and forced air, boilers, chilled water with cooling tower, DX systems, refrigeration, and related ancillary equipment. Systems are both gas and oil fired. Candidates will have strong building systems control experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Preferred candidate may also perform light plumbing and may be required to assist the maintenance team as necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to service calls.
- Troubleshoot issues.
- Determine severity and discuss major issues with the Director.
- Perform repairs in an efficient and workmanlike manner.
- Perform preventive maintenance tasks.
- Inspect current systems for effectiveness and safety.
- Install new heating, cooling, ventilation, and ancillary systems.
- Use the Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- Maintain accurate inventory of all equipment, materials, and related resources.
- Perform other duties as necessary to support the maintenance team.
- Be available for an after-hour emergency and rotating on-call.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Must hold Connecticut state license (minimum S-2, preferred S-1).
- EPA certification for refrigerants.
- 5 years field/hands-on experience.
- Must hold a valid state driver’s license.
- Strong verbal communication skills, ability to explain complex issues.
- Interact with others in a professional manner at all times.
- Must be punctual and adhere to a daily schedule.
- Maintain professional appearance.
- Physically able to climb on and off of equipment used.
- Ability to safely operate powered hand tools involving use of both hands and both legs.
- Ability to safely operate mechanical equipment as described above.
- Ability to lift, move, and carry loads such as bale of hay, etc. up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to think and respond appropriately to requests for assistance by members of the community.
- Must be able to come in early or work late as needed to respond to weather or other conditions.
- Must be able to work campus events if needed.
- Ability to communicate and function as part of a team.
- Must participate in safety training programs.
- May be required to take rotation as the designated on-call person after familiarity with the campus is achieved.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. The Ethel Walker School is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact list of three (3) professional references in one (1) document to firstname.lastname@example.org.