Assistant Head of School/Dean of Faculty
Reports to: Head of School
Direct Reports: Dean of Studies, Director of College Counseling, Director of Academic Support, School Nurse, School Counselor, Athletic Director
The Ethel Walker School seeks candidates for the position of assistant head of school/dean of faculty, effective July 1, 2019. The assistant head/dean of faculty is a highly visible community leader who works closely with the head of school to oversee the academic program and overall well-being of the community.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist the head of school in internal and external matters and manage the day-to-day operations of the School while the head is away
- Spearhead the hiring process, specifically recruitment and hiring of faculty
- Provide faculty support and leadership
- Coordinate the School calendar
- Coordinate faculty teaching and duty assignments with the dean of studies and dean of students
- Oversee curriculum development, working closely with the dean of studies
- Assess, with the director of social justice and inclusion, the breadth and depth of inclusivity in the curriculum
- Work closely with the dean of studies to promote frequent and effective communication within and among departments
- Design and implement faculty orientation, training, mentoring, evaluation and professional development
- Serve as a member on various Board of Trustee committees at the discretion of the head of school
- Serve on the following internal committees: Leadership Team, Wellness Team, Safety and Security Committee, and others as assigned by the head of school
- Support admissions and advancement efforts
In addition, the assistant head of school/dean of faculty will be involved in special project work with the head (e.g., long-range planning; accreditation process; Board committee and initiative work, etc.). S/he may be called on to represent and speak on behalf of the School to the community at large as well as to our alumnae. S/he may teach one course and/or have a coaching assignment and will serve as an administrator on duty.
The assistant head/dean of faculty plays a major role in the life of the School and is expected to be deeply involved in the day-to-day work of faculty, parents and students. Therefore, experience in the residential and/or independent school setting is a requirement for this position; candidates with advanced degrees and strong backgrounds in administration, teaching, advising, and coaching will be preferred. Personal characteristics necessary for the position include: a deep understanding of what it means to help lead a girls’ school; high energy and enthusiasm for all aspects of school life; organization and initiative; warmth and a good sense of humor; collaborative mindset and consensus-building skills; patience and persistence; management of people; and excellent communication skills.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree or higher in education or another academic field
- Demonstrated success as a school leader
- Upper school teaching experience
- Deep knowledge of educational research and trends in upper school curriculum and instruction
- Love of learning
- Experience in an independent boarding/day school is desirable
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage school operations
- Strong and compelling written and oral communication skills as well as familiarity and comfort with technology and different platforms
- An empathetic, compassionate and sensitive person
- Highly collaborative yet able to turn ideas into action
- Creative, disciplined and thoughtful
- A strong work ethic
- Highest professional and personal standard
Information on the Search Process and Calendar:
The Ethel Walker School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and will follow NAIS Principles of Good Practice regarding hiring and searches.
The School has engaged a national executive search firm, Educational Directions, to assist the Head of School and The Ethel Walker School community with the search. Please direct all inquiries, applications, and nominations in confidence to Samuel S. Richards: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates should express their interest and begin the application process as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
In order for an application to be complete candidates should submit:
- A cover letter explaining their explicit interest in the assistant head/dean of faculty position at The Ethel Walker School
- A current resume or CV
- An Educational Philosophy or Personal Statement
- The names, email addresses, telephone numbers and affiliation to the candidate of five (5) professional references
- Reference letters are welcome but not required
Calendar for the Search:
- Applications due: March 29, 2019
- Candidates notified of status: April 5, 2019
- Semifinalist Interviews: Early-Mid April 2019
- Finalist Interviews: Mid-Late April 2019
The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, and the compensation package (salary, health, dental, retirement, etc.) will be within the expected norms of comparable NAIS, CAIS and TABS schools. The candidate will be expected to live on campus, and housing is provided along with meals during the academic year.