Full Time English Teacher
The Ethel Walker School, a boarding and day school for girls in grades 6 through 12 located in Simsbury, CT, is seeking a full-time English teacher for the 2018-2019 school year. Our students and curriculum are committed to intellectual rigor, academic excellence, personal development and social justice. Candidates should have a BA in English or a closely related field. Preference will be given to those candidates with advanced degrees (MA, PhD) in English or Education/Teaching and who have 2-5 years of classroom teaching experience. Certification is desired, but not required.
- Ability and desire to teach any level of Upper and/or Middle School English
- Collaborate enthusiastically with members of the English Department
- Supervise school clubs/activities
- Participate in our Residential Life program
- Perform after school supervisory or coaching duties as assigned
- Supervise study hall or other academic day duties as assigned
- Engage in personal and professional development
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and traits necessary for this position include:
- Passion for teaching and for girl’s education
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent command of the English language
- Awareness of current trends in English instruction and a desire to evolve
- Facility with the use of technology in learning and the use of databases for record keeping of different kinds
- Intellectual curiosity depth and breadth of literary knowledge
- Commitment to teach and to assess writing
- Passion for reading and a commitment to developing that in students
A highly developed sense of collaboration and a willingness to work with colleagues is also required; you will work closely with the other English teachers to make sure the department's goals are being met and that innovation is being brought to the classroom. A strong sense of autonomy accompanies this position and experience with planning lessons and developing units and assessments will be highly valuable. A commitment to teaching students how to write well, with the goal of publishing their work, is essential.
The successful candidate will show empathy for and a passion to work with adolescent girls at this phase in their development.Your strong commitment to teaching a love of reading and writing is essential. The successful candidate will also be required to participate in the life of the Ethel Walker School in ways that are typical of boarding school and important to our close knit community. All teaching faculty serve as advisors to a group of up to six students, are asked to participate in the social lives of the students by chaperoning weekend activities or coaching students after school. All faculty are additionally asked to be involved with student clubs as an advisor and to participate in other ways in the life of the school.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and list of three (3) professional references in one (1) PDF to email@example.com.