Full Time History Teacher
The History Department is seeking a teacher for the Upper and Middle Schools. Successful candidates should have a strong background in history education and experience in the classroom and must embrace collaboration, continuing professional development, and community involvement. No certification is required.
The History Department at The Ethel Walker School prides itself on a commitment to teaching history by combining scholarship and practical application. The curriculum is focused on the strong connection between the people and societal forces at work at different times in history and the place where they live. A highly-developed sense of collaboration is required for this position; you will work closely with colleagues to make sure the department's goals are being met but you will also have a great deal of autonomy planning lessons and developing units and assessments.
Other responsibilities may include serving as an advisor to a group of up to six students, chaperoning weekend activities (Upper School) or supervising students after school (Middle School), coaching, or advising student clubs.
Skills and traits necessary for this position include:
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Excellent command of written English
- Excellent knowledge of history, geography, and other social sciences
- Knowledge of current trends in history instruction and pedagogy
- Facility with the use of technology (preferably Apple and iPad) in learning and the use of databases for record keeping of different kinds
- Strong sense of community involvement
- Strong sense of collegiality
- Willingness to collaborate
- Strong work ethic (timely adherence to deadlines and the ability to self-motivate)
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and contact list of three (3) references in one document to: email@example.com.