Upper School Science Teacher - Long-Term Substitute
The Ethel Walker School is an independent, college preparatory, day and boarding school for girls in grades 6-12. Since 1911, The Ethel Walker School has excelled at preparing students to make a difference in the world. Members of this diverse community are dedicated to scholarship, the arts, athletics, wellness and service.
The Ethel Walker School science department will have an opening for a long-term substitute science teacher that begins in April 2020 and extends through December 2020. The position entails teaching four science courses, specifically biology and chemistry classes. The biology courses include honors and non-honors levels and the chemistry course is a non-honors class. All science classes at Walker’s are laboratory based. Interested applicants should be knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and passionate about the sciences and have a strong command of the high school biology and chemistry curriculums.
Applicants should demonstrate success in working with students and parents, and have a commitment to best practices in teaching and learning. This position requires collaboration with colleagues, exhibiting strong communication and problem-solving skills. This teacher will be supervised by the Science Department chair in delivering creative and engaging curriculum that centers girls.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Implementing science curriculum
- Integrate technology meaningfully throughout unit plans
- Commitment to Culturally Responsive Teaching and developing equity within the curriculum
- Actively engage in the life of the school community
- Articulating and modeling the school’s mission and core values
- Supporting and following the school’s policies and procedures
- Patience, flexibility, and a good sense of humor
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in subject area or a related field is required; advanced degree preferred
- At least one year of teaching experience, ideally three or more years, preferably at the high school level
- Excellent classroom management, communication and organization skills
- Commitment to all-girls education
To apply, please submit resume, letter of interest and contact list of references to; email@example.com.