Horizons at The Ethel Walker School
We believe in the power of girls.
Horizons at The Ethel Walker School is the nation's first all-girls Horizons program, and serves underserved students who attend Hartford public schools. Horizons creates the conditions, connections, and community that enable every girl who attends to gain the skills, confidence and motivation to overcome the opportunity gap and realize her potential.
We're in this for the long term. When a girl enters the program in kindergarten, we make a nine-year commitment to prepare her to enter high school with the skills, knowledge and determination she'll need to graduate.
Goals of Horizons at The Ethel Walker School:
- Prevent declines in school performance by reducing summer learning loss
- Improve school attendance
- Improve social and interpersonal skills
- Raise each girl's educational expectations and aspirations
- Encourage parents to become involved in their daughter’s education and activities
- Build self-esteem, resourcefulness, and sound judgment