First Grade Lead Teacher
Location: Horizons at The Ethel Walker School, Simsbury, CT
Job Title: Lead Teacher
Salary: Compensation based on experience
Level/Grade: First Grade
Type of Position: Full-Time Summer
Horizons at The Ethel Walker School is looking for experienced, mature and dedicated professionals for its lead teacher position. Candidates should be able to demonstrate an ability to inspire and nurture lifelong love of knowledge in elementary school children, and to implement strategies that engage students in active learning through project based learning, utilizing 21st century skills. Candidates must be able to work individually and as a team player to help fulfill the Horizons mission.
Horizons at The Ethel Walker School is the nation's first all-girls Horizons program, and serves low-income students who attend Hartford public schools. Horizons creates the conditions, connections, and community that enable every girl who attends to gain the skills, confidence and motivation to overcome the opportunity gap and realize her potential.
General Position Description
- Educator for approximately 15 students in first grade during a six week summer enrichment program
- Responsible for the planning and instruction of all core subject areas using a wide range of teaching strategies
- Writes lesson plans, teaches lessons, maintains attendance records, and provides evaluative feedback to students and assistant teacher
- Lead teacher will work in partnership with a teaching assistant and up to three classroom volunteers
- Lead teacher will oversee and supervise assigned volunteers and assistants, delegating appropriately and submitting a final evaluation on each of the individuals
- Lead teachers are required to attend an orientation session prior to the start of the program. Timing will depend on scheduled workshops, as well as individual classroom prep.
- Lead teachers are required to attend all field trips, participate in daily meals with the students, attend Family Night, faculty meetings, and perform all other duties that may be required
- Must have at least two years of experience as an elementary school teacher
- A strong passion for girls' education
- Thursday, June 27 & Friday, June 28: Teacher orientation and classroom set-up
- Monday, July 1 - Friday, August 9: Six-week program