Fourth Grade Assistant Teacher
Location: Horizons at The Ethel Walker School, Simsbury, CT
Job Title: Assistant Teacher
Salary: Compensation based on experience
Level/Grade: Fourth Grade
Type of Position: Full-Time Summer
Horizons at The Ethel Walker School is looking for mature, dedicated and enthusiastic individuals for the assistant teacher position. Candidates should be able to help create and nurture a lifelong love of knowledge in children. Horizons seeks a professional, caring individual with the ability to help implement strategies to engage students in active learning through non-traditional ways. Candidate must work as a team player to help fulfill the Horizons mission.
Horizons at The Ethel Walker School is the nation's first all-girls Horizons program, and serves low-income students who attend Hartford public schools. Horizons creates the conditions, connections, and community that enable every girl who attends to gain the skills, confidence and motivation to overcome the opportunity gap and realize her potential.
- Assistant to the fourth grade lead teacher
- Aid in the classroom duties of teaching and caring for approximately 15 students during a six week summer enrichment program
- Responsible for helping to plan daily classroom schedule and assisting in instruction
- Work in partnership with approximately three volunteers in the classroom each day
- Attend daily swim instruction lessons with students providing encouragement to students
- Participate with students in physical education classes providing help and support to the lead teacher and his/her volunteers
- Assistant teachers are required to attend all field trips, participate in daily meals with the students, attend Family Night, faculty meetings as well as all other duties that may be required by their supervisor
- Experience working with elementary aged children. A student with an Elementary Education major preferred.
- A strong passion for girls' education
- Thursday, June 27 & Friday, June 28: Teacher orientation and classroom set-up
- Monday, July 1 - Friday, August 9: Six-week program