The Ethel Walker Smith Endowment
In the fall of 1911, The Walker’s School for Girls opened its doors with 10 students, seven teachers, one dog, and Ethel Walker’s courageous and resolute leadership — her dream becoming reality with a $10,000 loan from an acquaintance and fellow Bryn Mawr alumna whose interests were educational and philanthropic. For several years, Ethel continued as principal decision maker for the School, a role that included the pursuit of increased enrollment, oversight of business and operational duties and relocation to the Simsbury campus in 1917.
When Ethel died at age 93 on June 14, 1965, she had peace in the knowledge that her foresight and generous transfer of wealth would aid in the perpetual support and welfare of her beloved School. In the fall of 2016, assets totaling approximately $7.4 million from the first trust were transferred to The Ethel Walker Charitable and Educational Foundation. As a result of this first transfer to the Foundation, the School’s operating budget will now receive an annual payout from The Ethel Walker Smith Endowment, a fund held by the Foundation, of approximately $370,000, or 5% of the assets, which the School will apply to operating expenses.