Just 20 minutes outside of Hartford, The Ethel Walker School, located in Simsbury, Connecticut, excels at preparing girls to make a profound difference in the world. Members of this diverse community are dedicated to global citizenship, scholarship, the arts, athletics, wellness, and community partnerships. The satisfaction of achievement and joy of friendship are fundamental principles as the School empowers girls to lead with integrity, respect, confidence, courage, conviction and a love of learning.
As a residential boarding school and home away from home, Walker’s provides an environment of support, challenge, safety, and engagement to our girls. Girls are given many opportunities to grow, learn and lead within our community and beyond. Learn more about student life at Walker’s.
Teaching faculty engage in our students’ lives in multiple ways inside and outside of the classroom. All teaching faculty are required to serve as a student advisor. Faculty are also expected to fulfill other duties which could include coaching, leading student activities, or mentoring a club. Faculty are expected to
participate in extra-curricular life and support our residential program. Successful candidates are committed to all-girls’ education and empowerment, welcome being in a boarding and day school, and want to be a part of an inclusive and welcoming community.
- Director of Operations and Facilities
- Director of Financial Aid/Associate Director of Admissions
- Computer Science Teacher
- Math Teacher
- Part Time School Bus Drivers
- Coaching Positions
The Ethel Walker School is a vibrant, academically-focused all-girls college preparatory secondary school of 250 students (six through eight day, nine through 12 boarding and day) in Simsbury, CT that seeks an experienced, highly-motivated individual to serve as the director of operations and facilities beginning immediately. This position oversees various aspects of the School dealing with the operations of the physical plant and directs the maintenance and improvement operations of facilities and vehicles, including preventative maintenance and related budgets. This position reports to the chief financial officer and the head of school.
The director of financial aid oversees and manages the School's financial aid program. A thorough understanding of and experience with need-based financial aid is required. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the financial aid program for new and returning students, including projections, budgeting, and strategic implementation of the program
- Oversee all re-enrollment activity and work closely with the director of enrollment management on retention efforts, particularly as they relate to financial aid issues
- Serve as the primary liaison to the access programs with which Walker’s partners including Hartford Youth Scholars, Prep for Prep, Robert Treat Academy, ABC, Wight Foundation, Wadleigh Scholars, NJ SEEDS, and Grace Academy
- Provide weekly, monthly and annual reporting of data related to enrollment funnel
- Communicate with families throughout the enrollment and re-enrollment processes about the status of their awards including all award appeals
- Build and maintain close and productive relationships and proactive communication with the director of enrollment management and other admissions team members as well as colleagues in the Business Office and IT Department
In addition, the position will include some Admissions Office responsibilities including recruiting, interviewing and evaluating prospective students and traveling to represent Walker’s at fairs, feeder schools and with educational consultants. Involvement in planning on-campus admissions events such as open houses and admitted student revisit days are also required.
A bachelor’s degree, fiscal management and several years of financial aid experience is required. A master’s degree and previous experience working in admissions at the secondary school level is preferred.
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Ethel Walker School is seeking a full-time computer science teacher. Course load may include (but is not limited to): 9th Grade Seminar, Introduction to Computer Science, Fabrication Laboratory, Online Support for Harvard (CS 50) Computer Science Class, and Curriculum Design Programming in every class. Candidates should have a BS degree in Computer Science, or a closely related field. No certification is required.
A highly-developed sense of collaboration and a willingness to work with colleagues is required for this position; you will work closely with colleagues to make sure the School’s goals are being met, but you will also have a large amount of autonomy in planning lessons and developing units and assessments. The successful candidate will show an empathy for and a willingness to work with adolescent girls at this phase in their development.
The successful candidate will also be required to participate in the life of The Ethel Walker School in ways that are at once typical of boarding school and unique to our close-knit community. All teaching faculty serve as advisors to a group of up to six students, and are asked to participate by supervising activities related to the residential life of the School.
Skills and traits necessary for this position include:
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of current topics and trends in computer science education
- Facility with the use of technology (preferable Apple and iPad) in learning techniques
- A strong sense of community involvement
- A strong sense of collegiality
- Willingness to collaborate
- Strong work ethic (timely adherence to deadlines and ability to self motivate)
- Other duties as assigned
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com.
The Ethel Walker School, a boarding and day school for girls in grades six through 12 located in Simsbury, CT, is seeking a full-time math teacher. Candidates should have at least a bachelor’s degree in a math field. Preference will be given to those candidates with advanced degrees in math or education/teaching and who have at least two years of classroom teaching experience. No certification is required.
Responsible for picking up and dropping off students at established stops within the school calendar schedule. Must maintain a safe environment for students traveling to and from school. Other duties may include transporting students, faculty/staff to special events, such as field trips or sporting events.
Drivers must be attentive to traffic and weather conditions while staying on schedule and ensuring the safety of the passengers. They must ensure that their vehicles are operating properly and conduct a vehicle inspection each day. Drivers are also responsible for maintaining a safe environment within the bus by enforcing rules on conduct and responding to emergencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Able to perform the physical requirements of the position
- Able to inspect the vehicle before each shift
- Transport students to and from school or program safely
- Communicate and report all disciplinary issues
- Reinforce school bus rider rules while supervising students
- Develop a professional relationship with parents, school staff, and students
- Familiarity with assigned route and students
- Ensure that students unload at their scheduled stops
- Ability to handle problems and stressful situations
- Prepare necessary paperwork and reports
- Submit to the random drug and alcohol program
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Hold and maintain a valid Connecticut-CDL B with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
- Maintain a clean criminal and driving record
- Maintain DOT physical qualification with current DOT medical card
- Must have three to five years of safe driving experience and good knowledge of local geography
To apply, submit resume, cover letter and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Ethel Walker School offers many inter-scholastic sports for its student body. Many of these teams have teams at various levels, including varsity, JV, and occasionally thirds and Middle School teams. Walker's currently has coaching opportunities available in the following sports:
- Varsity Squash
- Field Hockey
Experience playing and/or coaching at a high level is required. A strong commitment to providing girls with high quality instruction and coaching as well as modeling a strong balance between athletics, academics and community involvement are important qualities for candidates for this position. To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Attn: Athletic Director
Please contact us with any inquiries in specific areas and send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Ethel Walker School is an equal opportunity employer.