Associate Barn Manager and Show Groom
The Ethel Walker School has an immediate opening for a full-time Associate Barn Manager and Show Groom.
Participate in the day-to-day management and operation of The Ethel Walker School’s 60-stall equestrian barn with the Barn Manager and Trainers. Travel to horse shows to manage the care of horses attending horse shows.
- Manage the facility with the Barn Manager.
- Co-supervise staff of 3-4 barn workers, assign tasks, evaluate performance, and help build the team by providing feedback and recommendations to the barn manager, director, and trainers.
- Help train the staff as need.
- Welcome boarders/riders to our facility and program in a courteous and professional manner.
- Meet early/late shipment of horses arriving to or leaving from the barn.
- Assist barn staff in daily routine during periods of staff shortages or vacations.
- Run night checks as scheduled.
- Provide general support to the riding program and Director as requested by the Director.
- Assist Barn Manager in managing, supplies, vet, and farrier while maintaining the budget.
- Other duties, not limited to this section, as assigned.
- Assist with feeding.
- Work with trainers to ensure competition horse needs are met and clearly communicated.
- Maintain a rigorous turn-out schedule.
- Assist the School’s veterinarian in the care of individual horses, as instructed.
- Groom all show board horses and have them show ready when needed.
- Assist with record keeping of all above responsibilities.
- Responsible for performing duties associated with horses traveling off-site to shows.
- Perform all groom duties for horse shows. Make decisions regarding care, safety, and well-being of the horses while maintaining daily groom tasks.
- Ensure that horses are clipped, bathed, and presentable prior to going to shows.
- Support the trainers and riders as needed at the shows (setting up, ordering feed/stalls, paperwork).
- Supervise and work alongside other grooms at horse shows.
- The horses will travel to Wellington, Florida in the winter as well as all the major Equitation finals. Travel with The Ethel Walker School is mandatory for this position.
Associate Barn Manager
In the absence of the Barn Manager, supervise the activities of barn staff while working side by side to fulfill general duties and responsibilities of the Barn Manager. Maintain clear lines of communication with department leaders including but not limited to the Director and trainers.
Physical Riding Department Maintenance
- Ensure the facility is neat, clean, and orderly at all times.
- Keep all department fencing in good repair (with help from Maintenance Department).
- Drag rings as needed (daily if necessary due to high traffic). Must be able to drive a tractor.
Conduct and Culture
- Promote a student-centered view with work priorities and encourage student involvement in barn operations.
- Support an environment devoted to the education and nurturing of girls and young women.
- Exhibit a commitment to excellence in all work as evidenced by high standards of service and workmanship.
- Exhibit a commitment to honor as evidenced by honesty and integrity.
- Exhibit a commitment to community through the caring and respectful treatment of all members through collaboration, and putting the interests of the group ahead of individual interest.
- Exhibit a commitment to diversity as evidenced by the respectful treatment of all members of the community without regard to race, color, gender, sex, religion, sexual orientation, and national or ethnic origin.
- Comply with the applicable policies of The Ethel Walker School Staff Handbook including all other policies and procedures.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. The Ethel Walker School is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact list of three (3) professional references in one (1) document to firstname.lastname@example.org.