The Ethel Walker School admits students of any race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
The Ethel Walker School is an independent, college preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades six through 12 plus a postgraduate year. Since 1911, The Ethel Walker School has excelled at preparing students to make a difference in the world. Members of this diverse community are dedicated to scholarship, the arts, athletics, wellness, and service. The satisfaction of achievement and joy of friendship are fundamental principles as the School empowers girls to lead with integrity, respect, confidence, courage, conviction and a love of learning.
Reference in this notice to “personal data” means any information that identifies, or could reasonably be used to identify, a living individual, either on its own or together with other information. The Ethel Walker School is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Please read this notice carefully to understand our practices with respect to personal data.
How We Obtain Your Personal Data
As a School, we regularly receive personal data as part of our professional activities. We may collect your personal data:
- As part of our student admission procedures;
- When you or your organization offer or provide services as our vendor, employee or consultant;
- When you browse or interact with our website(s) or use any online services that we provide or interact with, including social media; and
- When you email us or provide such data to us in other circumstances, such as when you request details about or attend a school-sponsored event, or when you engage with the alumni portal.
Ordinarily, you will have provided any such data to us. But in some cases, we may collect data about you from a third party source, such as government or credit reporting agencies, an information or service provider or from public records.
The Personal Data We Collect and Process
The personal information that we collect and process may include:
- Basic information, such as your name, your employer, your title or position and your relationship to a person;
- Contact information, such as your physical address, email address and phone number(s);
- Financial information, such as bank account details or credit card information, and gifts, pledges, and planned gifts made to the school. All financial information is collected and processed on third party PCI compliant sites;
- Technical information (including your IP address), such as information from your visits to our website or applications or in relation to materials and communications we send to you electronically;
- Information you provide to us for the purposes of attending meetings and events, including access and dietary requirements;
- Identification and background information provided by you or collected by us as part of our inquiry and acceptance processes;
- Personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients, partners and employees or generated by us in the course of providing services and employment, which may include special categories of data;
- Details of your visits to our offices or off campus visits; and
- Any other information relating to you which you may provide to us.
How We Use Your Personal Data
Whether we receive your personal data directly from you or from a third party source, we will only use your personal data in connection with our professional activities. These “Permitted Uses” may include:
- Sharing personal information with The Ethel Walker School service providers who need the information to provide help, care or other professional services.
- Providing educational or other services to our students; this includes reports cards, testing and providing information to colleges in the college process.
- Managing our business relationship with you or your organization, whether in connection with the provision or procurement of goods and services or as your employer or former employer, including processing payments, accounting, auditing, billing and collection, and related support services;
- Acting in compliance with our legal obligations;
- Managing and securing the access to our offices, systems and online platforms;
- Complying with court orders and other legal and regulatory requirements;
- Processing that is necessary for purposes of the legitimate interest of the school or third parties provided that such interests are not overridden by your interests or your fundamental rights and freedoms.
- For any purpose related to the foregoing or for any purpose for which you provided the personal data to The Ethel Walker School.
If you have given us your express consent, we may process your personal data for additional purposes. You may withdraw your consent at any time by emailing the school at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional purposes for which we may process your personal data may include:
- Communicating with you with respect to announcements, events and school fundraising initiatives which may be of interest to you;
- Distributing surveys, marketing or educational materials;
- Gathering information regarding your preferences to improve the quality of our communications and interaction with you, such as through website analytics or the tracking of our client publications; and
- Any other purpose for which you have given consent.
How We Share Your Personal Data
In cases where we share your personal data, The Ethel Walker School will only do so in accordance with applicable data protection laws and will take appropriate safeguards to ensure its integrity and protection. Examples of sharing data include college advising, providing class and parent volunteers contact information.
Keeping Your Personal Data Secure
We will take appropriate technical and organizational measures against unauthorized or unlawful processing of your personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal data in accordance with our internal security procedures covering its storage, access and destruction. Personal data may be stored on our own technology systems, those of our vendors or in paper files.
Retaining Your Personal Data
We will delete your personal data when it is no longer reasonably required for the Permitted Uses or you withdraw your consent (where applicable), provided that we are not legally required or otherwise permitted to continue to hold such data. We may retain your personal data for an additional period to the extent deletion would require us to overwrite our automated disaster recovery backup systems or to the extent we deem it necessary to assert or defend legal claims during any relevant retention period.
Your Rights Regarding Your Personal Data
In addition to your rights under applicable data protection legislation and where we are permitted or required by applicable law and regulation and by our professional obligations, we will provide you, upon request, with a copy of your personal data retained by us and readily available and we will correct any errors identified by you. Except as set forth above, we will not use your data for any automated decision making or any profiling and you have the right to restrict our processing of your personal data as well as the right to lodge a complaint with supervisory authorities regarding the processing of your personal data.
This Privacy Notice was updated in February 2019. We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Notice from time to time to reflect changing legal requirements or our processing practices. Any such changes will be posted on this website and will be effective upon posting.
The Ethel Walker School allows all students and applicants to self-identify their gender so as to best support them in their transition or development.
The Ethel Walker School accepts applications from the following individuals:
- Biologically born female; identifies as a girl
- Biologically born female; identifies as other
- Biologically born female; does not identify as either boy or girl
- Biologically born male; identifies as a girl
- Born with both male and female anatomy (intersex); identifies as a girl